A FAMILY made a horrifying discovery after finding several bodies stuffed in suitcases they won in a Storage Wars-style auction.
The New Zealand residents won the grim contents of an abandoned storage unit in an auction last week.
Buyers are not allowed to sift through the contents before bidding on a unit and the family only made the chilling discovery when they searched through the contents on their driveway.
According to the New Zealand Herald, cops arrived at the house in Auckland at lunchtime on Thursday after being called in by the shaken buyers.
Officers have launched a murder probe and are now said to be hunting for a serial killer as investigators scramble to determine how many victims were inside the suitcases.
Witnesses reported seeing three hearses outside the house on Thursday night as cops cordoned off the property and removed the remains.
A neighbour said there was a noticeable stench coming from the house – and suspected the bodies had been “diced up”.
They said: “Whatever happened… [they] must have been diced up, the way they carried the bodies in to the hearse.
“It was just a small distance handing the remains into the hearse.
“I could smell it here. I thought it was a dead cat or something.
“They brought it back on a trailer. How did they not pick up the smell?
“I knew that because I’m a pig hunter and when carcass go bad it’s the same smell. That’s why I thought it was a dead animal.”
Another neighbour, Shelton Honana, told Newshub: “I feel sorry for the family because they’ve got nothing to do with it.
“Whoever did do it… front up. It’s a bit unfair, bro. It’s horrific, f***ing scary.”
A relative of the family said they were “doing all right” after the grim discovery and said they have left the property for a while.
Asked how many bodies were found in the suitcase, the man said his family members didn’t know.
“I can’t answer that. I wouldn’t have a clue anyway. No, I don’t think they know either. I don’t think so,” he said.
Police have not confirmed how many bodies were discovered in the “unowned property”.
The boss of the storage unit company, Safe Store Ltd, confirmed the business is cooperating with the cops in the grisly investigation.
“We won’t say anything because it is under police investigation, and we are cooperating with police,” the director said.
Detective Inspector Tofilau Faamanuia Vaaelua said the “occupants of the address are not believed to be involved in the incident”.
A cordon was put up around the house over the weekend as forensic workers scoured the scene.
A post-mortem examination is now being carried out on the remains.
Companies often auction off abandoned units to get back some of the unpaid rent – a practice which even inspired TV show Storage Wars in the US.
The series set in California has run for more than a decade starting in 2010 – with the latest series in 2021.
Storage units are auctioned off when rent hasn’t been paid for three months.
Buyers can view the contents for just five minutes – but they are not allowed to enter the storage unit or open any boxes.